Friday 26 March 2010

Mark Owen: the latest in a long line of promiscuous short men

I've been musing about Mark Owen's recent travails. The headline in the Sun when he admitted to 10 affairs was interesting. Of course, there is nothing unusual in a pop star having affairs - it's par for the course. But to own up after having 10 affairs, that is something quite different.

Yes, the ordinary pop star might have one or a few affairs before the tabloids get onto it. But there was something very redolent of the try too hard short man in that Mark Owen - the cute one from Take That - turned it into a bit of a boast.

It was almost as if he was saying: "No-one has ever taken me seriously. Gary wrote the songs, Robbie had the successful solo career. There was nothing for me left to do except
prove my masculinity through attracting starstruck girls."

The more I think about it, this rampant promiscuity is something of a hallmark of short men. You've only got to look at Jermain Defoe's incredible ability to bed every aspiring WAG out there to see that the small, successful man simply can't say 'no' to women.

My great favourite, Sisqo, is of course another case in point. Not only did he write one of the great pervy pop tunes of all time, Thong Song, he also got tangled up in a paternity suit with a Swiss woman whom he 'met' on tour.

And checking back through my collection of Napoleon biographies shows beyond doubt that old Bonaparte himself believed in spreading his love around. So, my hastily drawn but I feel nevertheless solid conclusion - great short men are invariably promiscuous. Mark Owen, in your hour of need, take solace from the fact that you follow in the footpath of short men the world over, from Napoleon to Jermain Defoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment